Our roundup up of the best dog clippers available today
If you’re interested in managing your dog’s (or any pet for that matter) coat regularly, whether you are a professional or an individual, then choosing the best dog clippers to suit your budget is essential.
Our top picks
Unlike other hair clippers, dog hair clippers need to have a preferred high operating speed to guarantee you a perfect cut with minimal skin damage.
This article covers some of the best electric dog clippers; looking at their pros and cons so that you have the opportunity to make an informed choice. We take the guess work out of it for you.
Though there are people who use human hair clippers for their dogs and pet, it is highly discouraged as there is a big difference between the two.
First, the human clippers have weaker motors that make it possible to pull the skin into the blade. Second, human clippers are made up of thinner blades which easily clog and eventually get blunt.
Factors to consider when choosing pet & dog clippers.
1. Cordless dog clippers
Cordless dog clippers were introduced to replace the cable clippers to offer more comfort and flexibility. They use a rechargeable battery which substitutes the need for the power cable.
The drawback of cordless are that they have limited charge time. A charge of 30% or less can affect the quality of your finish.
A cordless dog shaver tends to be larger and heavier than their corded counterparts, due to large battery and power packs being attached. The issue of weight makes the work harder and heavier on the groomers wrist, especially if you have to work on several dogs. Cordless dog shavers are more suited for personal dog grooming .
The other problem is that battery based dog clippers are louder and vibrate more. However, it is still possible for a groomer to have the two types of clippers. Cordless ones can be used for puppies and calmer dogs, that require less intricacy.
Blades are the heart of the whole grooming and clippers process. They are designed to fit in a given set of clippers. When making your order, ensure what you requested will fit in your set of clippers.
Also, ensure the blades you are buying are of your required length. The length determines the size of the hair left on the skin. Fortunately, all this information is readily available before you make your purchase.
Finally, ensure your blades come with an attachment comb. This additional device enables you to groom your dog at different hair grades, giving you a variety of cuts. Remember variety is the spice of life!
Choose the right material of your blade to get the best dog clippers for you. Depending on the nature of your cut, you can use the ceramic disposable ones or the aluminium variety that are durable.
Keep reading to find out more about each of the entries in our top 10 and find out what are the very best dog grooming clippers.
#1 Andis Agc Super 2-Speed Professional Dog Clippers
Great quality, they cut well and they run incredibly quiet – what isn’t to love? We’ve used cheaper quality dog clippers and they’re no where near the quality of these dog clippers. Cheaper dog clippers are a false economy and should be avoided. These professional clippers are fantastic, with a great cutting motor and are unrivaled.
The Andis dog clippers are fantastic for variety. They come with two-speed choices (330 and 4000 strokes per minute) and they’re available in many different colours.
Wonderful for grooming dogs because of their low noise and low vibration, meaning even nervous dogs can handle the dog grooming process.
We rate these as our number 1 best dog hair trimmers on our round up! Check out our in-depth review of the Andis 2 speed clippers.
#2 Andis AGR+ Clippers with Two batteries
BEST CORDLESS CLIPPERS
- Similar cutting power to the mains version
- Runs very quiet, cool and allows total grooming freedom!
- Clips for 30-45minutes on one battery and charges in 35 minutes
- Takes all snap on blades. comes complete with a number 10 blades
- Kit includes clipper, two batteries, sensacharge charger, maintenance kit and instructions
There has been a wired version of these professional dog clippers for many years and whilst they’re excellent – they come with one irritating problem – the very HEAVY cable! Andis decided to do something about this and released the “heavy cable-less” Andis AGR+ dog clippers and they ship with 2 batteries! The absolute best cordless dog clippers available today!
The AGR professional dog Clipper has comparable clipping power to its mains powered older sibling (its cutting motor is just as good). They’re light, run very cool and quiet, making an easier time of grooming. They even ship with a cleaning brush.
It handily ships with 2 batteries and each one lasts between 30-45 minutes of clipping, so when one battery dies, slip the other in whilst the other battery recharges. And with a charge time of circa 35 minutes, you’ll never have to sit around waiting! The 2 batteries allow for continuous clipping.
They Come with the smart Sensacharge charger, designed to boost battery life and maintain a great condition of the batteries.
Designed for the professional groomer, breeder or the owner of any thick coated breed and great if you have dogs (as in more than one).
Whilst this just offers one rate rather than two, the benefit of portability and no HEAVY cable make it a GREAT buy.
#3 The Wahl Multi cut dog clippers
BEST BUDGET BUY
- This long lasting mains powered dog clipper features most powerful motor for home grooming and is specifically designed to maintain wiry, smooth, long, silky and short coats at home
- Fitted with precision ground, high carbon steel blades that work with the adjustable taper control system to offer cutting lengths between 0.8 mmand 1.8 mmwithout snagging or leaving clipper tracks
- 8 coloured attachment combs make it easy to select the desired cutting length which range from 3-25mm
- This ergonomically designed clipper is comfortable for you and your dog, with a rubberised grip and low noise levels
- Robust and durable, the clipper comes with a 2.5 m cable
The Wahl Multi-Cut Dog Clippers are the most economical as they’re available at slightly less than £30, so firmly aimed at the home dog groomers rather than the professional.
This clipper is limited to smaller dogs that have smooth fur that is not too thick. They’re not a heavy duty set but are the best cheap dog clippers available today.
However, this device has the advantage that it comes with a DVD for more instruction in a fun pack. Also, the fact that it produces less noise and vibration makes it easier to groom your dog as it reduces irritation to the skin.
Doggy Planet’s verdict: Great value for money Dog clippers.
#4 Laube iVac Vacuum Clipper 2-Speed Kit
BEST BUY IF MONEY IS NO OBJECT
- 5-Year Limited Motor Warranty, 110v/220 DCV
- 10,000 S.P.M. on high & 4,000 S.P.M. on low; fits all snap on style blades
- Just 11 oz. and is 6″ long! comes with an 18-foot cord/hose
- Comes with 10 adaptors to fit any vacuum
- Proudly made in USA with US and globally sourced parts
Hoover it up as you go!! The most comfortable set to use on our list and perfect for groomers.
That’s right – a professional grade set of dog clippers, that clean as you clip (no need for a cleaning brush)! Makes them the ideal dog hair clippers for dogs with thick hair.
The genius thing about these clippers is the fact that you can attach them to the hose of almost any vacuum because the included Adapters accommodate most basic vacuums.
The Laube iVac Vacuum Clipper is light, compact, professional and easily held and moved around. The Quick-disconnect, swivel vacuum tube attaches to the rear of the hair clipper providing obstruction-free working.
This set of clippers are also excellent for other animals that you may or may not have. If you’re a professional groomer – these clippers are an absolute MUST!
Click here to read our full review of these.
#5 Wahl Pro Series Dog Clipper Mains / Rechargeable
BUDGET CORDLESS PET GROOMING KIT
- Versatile cord – cordless pet/dog clipper delivers up to 45 minutes cordless use on a full charge or can be used on the cord when charge is low
- Suitable for most types of animal hair – includes instructional DVD with step by step instructions on grooming your dog at home
- Complete with four attachment combs for variable clipping length from 2 mm to 13 mm
- Rust resistant, high carbon steel blades are precision ground for a superior cutting performance, Handy snap on/off fit for easy cleaning
- Lightweight, quiet and low vibration clipper. Packed in a durable storage/carry case and complete with a two year guarantee
This iconic device is one of the best rechargeable cordless clippers available and can deliver up to 45 minutes of service when the charge is full! Additionally, this clipper can also be plugged in and used!
These are the best dog clippers for home use. Not suitable for professional grooming.
It comes with a DVD that provides more instructions on usage. Additionally, it has four attachment combs that deliver a range of 2mm to 13mm grooming. Let’s not forget – the high-quality carbon steel blades that are rust resistant.
The low vibration and light weight make handling incredibly comfortable, and they can also be used outdoors to avoid making a mess in the home.
#6 Wahl Dog Grooming Clippers Kit SS Pro
A GREAT INVESTMENT
- Powerdrive performance provides quiet, powerful and fast clipping
- This clipper is powerful enough to cope with any coat type
- The professional removable blades allow for easy cleaning and deliver a smooth finish.
- Lightweight for easy use with contoured ridged finger grip for comfort and maximum control
- The range of available blades for this clipper will ensure no fur will be too much
The Wahl SS Pro set of professional dog clippers are a quiet, powerful clipper with a high capacity and can be used on any coat and breed of dog.
They are easy to handle and gentle on your hands leaving you no pain on your wrist, hands or fingers.
The cutting length of these professional dog clippers are standardised to 0.7mm though this figure can be adjusted to 3mm, 10mm or 16mm with the aid of the attachment combs that ship with these clippers.
These could have easily been our top pick – they’re that good. The lack of choice with regards to colours available are what stopped these dog clippers from being our top pick.
#7 Andis RACD Dog Grooming Clippers
A COMPACT SET OF CLIPPERS
- Powerful pet clipper which is compact in size
- Comes complete with a no. 10 blade and no. 7f blade which leaves 1.6mm hair and 3.4mm hair.
- Comes complete with 6 attachment combs to add extra length, ranging from 1.6mm to 25.4mm. maintenance free motor.
- Blades are easy to change. blades cannot be resharpened but separate blades are available.
- Comes in a handy carry bag. this clipper does not take a5 snap on blades.
This is a lightweight and compact clipper that comes with attachment combs to give you a grooming length of between 1.6mm to 25.4mm.
It has a comfortable feel in the hands, and the attachment combs are easy to change by pressing a button.
The design is an ergonomic one that fits comfortably in either hand.
#8 Andis Pro-Pet Deluxe Dog Grooming Clippers Kit
IDEAL FOR FINER DOGS, CLEAN COATS
- Ideal for fine and smooth coats
- Can be used for areas such as tails, paws, ears and face
- The clipper operates at 3,000 strokes per minute
- Ergonomic hand piece
- Can use all a5 type blades
This Andis Pro-Pet animal clipper is conducive for those learning to groom dogs. They’re ideal for use on clean coats and fine fur around the ears, faces, and paws.
It has a number 10 blade though fur clipping that can be adjusted to 13mm, 10mm, 6mm,and 3 mm with the assistance of the attachment combs.
This device has a high speed of 3,000 strokes per minute, and its weight and ergonomic properties make it easy to handle. With all these features, the professional market is what these are aimed for.
#9 Masterclip Pedigree Pro Professional Dog Clippers
- Get professional results at home with the Masterclip Shihchon / Shihpoo Dog Clipper Set
- Powerful A5 dog clipper with rotary two speed DC motor
- Comes with 3 sets of high carbon German steel blades – 10F, 4F & 4 skip
- Full 2 Year Warranty
- Leicestershire based after sales care
The Masterclip Pedigree pro professional dog clipper is a powerful two speed Rotary motor. It has 2 speed settings of 2300 RPM and 2900 RPM. The blade is made from high quality 30F German steel blade and ships with comb guards for lenghts of 6mm, 10mm, 13mm and 16mm.
Priced at just under £100 – these are a great buy. They have a professional feel. The comb guards are great for use with varying breeds and allow you to choose the mot suitable for lengths for grooming your dog.
One of our students uses these dog grooming clippers for their 6 dogs and they have lasted in excess of one year (so far). They report that they can clip their spaniels with one hour (10 minutes per dog!). They had previously used cheap dog clippers that didn’t last all that long.
Verdict: Great price (saving you money) for a professional set clippers.
This finishes our roundup of the best dog clippers UK available today. If you think there are a set that deserve to be on this list – please let us know!
Watch the video below for a quick visual guide on how to groom your dog at home.