Buying a Dog Stroller – is it a Good Idea?
Being a dog parent is not always easy. Your dogs are fun, energetic, and chaotic at times.
You know your dogs will spring up at even the slightest mention of the word walk. As much as it seems like an engaging activity, having a dog on its own walking beside you can cause some issues.
They hardly follow your directions and can get out of control.
You think about using a leash, but you know that even that will not control their restless and curious nature. The struggle is real, and you seriously start to think about getting a dog stroller.
Here’s where you get confused with a whole list of questions;
- Which dog stroller should I use?
- Should I use a dog stroller right away?
- What if I use my kid’s stroller for my dog?
- What are some of the best dog strollers out there?
- Will I be allowed to bring a dog stroller to certain places?
These questions can be overwhelming, but you need not worry; dog strollers are a great way to steer your pet wherever you want.
They are especially beneficial for older and injured dogs. Dog strollers are fantastic for long walks, and your mind can be at ease, knowing it keeps your dog safe, secure, and have the best fresh air, outdoor experience. You can take your dogs to work, the pet shop, dog groomers, basically everywhere.
What are some of the Best Dog Strollers
You have narrowed down your search as per your requirements. Now you want to know which is the best stroller out there in terms of budget and quality.
This is where we come to your rescue. We have spent more than 20 hours with the best selling dog strollers and reviewed them for you so that you do not have to go through the hassle of trying out different products to get to the perfect one.
Our Favourite Dog Strollers Available in The UK Today
So Which Stroller Is Best for My Pet?
If you have decided to go with a dog stroller, here’s a handy guide for narrowing your search for a good stroller for your dog.
Dog Breed: You need to find the stroller that best matches your pet breed. There is a brilliantly designed variety of small to medium-sized dogs out there. You can push around a weight closer to 14 kgs in them.
Weather: Some breeds such as Pekingese, Brachycephalic, and Bullmastiff might need a stroller in hot weather. They are sturdy and even contractible, fitting in nicely in your car trunk.
For Transporting a Litter: If you have a litter, you should find dog strollers that are wide, airy, and strapping.
Recuperating Dogs: If your dog recently suffered some injuries, making it difficult for them to move around, a dog stroller will help. Your walks will be uninterrupted, and a gust of fresh air might be good for their speedy recovery.
Elderly Dogs: You need to invest in a roomy stroller for elder pets because they might need them all the time. A stroller can help them to enjoy the outdoors without actually tiring or hurting themselves.
Even if you feel like your dog needs some protection from a neighbour’s aggressive dog, having a dog stroller presents itself as a unique savior in your predicament.
The following is a detailed analysis of these dog strollers features, their pros and cons, and comparison with other rival brands in terms of quality, features, and pricing.
#1 Pet Gear Inc. Pet Stroller
- Easy-locking, no-zip entry
- Elevated paw rest and panoramic view window
- Large storage basket and parent tray for keys, water, etcetera
- 600 denier water-resistant material
- Stroller height to handle 106.68cm; interior dimensions 76.20cm l x 33.02cm w x 55.88cm h
- Colour(s): Skyline Green
- Pet Life Stage: All ages
- Maximum Weight Recommendation: 32 kgs
With over 600 positive reviews, this dog stroller is a real favourite of pooch owners and for good reason. Many other pet owners buy this pet stroller for other species of pet, it’s just as popular with cat owners.
It’s a great looking dog stroller that has a zip less entry meaning less messing around and agitation and getting your dog in and out is easy peasy!
A smooth ride is guaranteed with your pet pooch being able to put their paws up and enjoy the ride – without getting wet. That’s right – this wonderful dog stroller comes with a water-proof cover. The manufacturer has thought of everything!
Check out some of the reviews below:
Have used the pet stroller for about a month now. I am using the pet stroller for an older chihuahua that cannot walk long distances and can have anxiety in some situations. I was worried that he was going to be terrified of the stroller but within 10 minutes of sitting in it he loved it!
My dog is 13.5 years old and has arthritis in her back legs. We use to have a carry pouch for her but her legs were too crunched up so we purchased the pet stroller. We take it out year round, she loves it. It is like a safe haven for her, I call it our crate on wheels.
#2 Easipet Pet Stroller
BEST BUDGET STROLLER
- Robust metal frame
- Roof to protect from weather
- Folding design
- 2 rear wheel brakes
- Front swivel wheels for easy manoeuvrability
- Stroller comes in these colour(s): Red, Red with Cover, Grey, Grey with Cover, Purple Dot, Purple with Cover
- Pet Life Stage: All ages
- Weight capacity: 15 kgs
If you’re looking for a dog stroller on a budget, then this stroller is perfect for under £40. It’s available in 5 different colours. There are additional baskets to help with carrying. The comfortable seat is perfect for elderly and injured dogs as it is spacious, and easy on their spines.
The stroller is perfect when you’re on a budget – especially if you plan on using this stroller exclusively on a flat terrain.
Here’s a highlight from some of the many reviews available on Amazon:
The stroller is easy to put together and looks good, front wheels wobble a bit but could just be wonky ground! Dog settled in it immediately with no worries and it has storage which is surprisingly useful. For the price it is excellent value and I would highly recommend.
#3 Flexzion Pet Stroller
- Fold the stroller easily with a press of a button on the handle; Great for travel & create minimal space for storage
- Large storage basket and cup holders keep toys, treats, and water bottles handy; Large cup holders and tray on the handle for water and treats
- Convenient front and rear entry; Top front and rear ventilation with Protective sun canopy
- Durable mesh provides airflow, visibility, and keeps insects out; Denier nylon is tough and water-resistant
- Large 6″ wheels glide easily over smooth or rough terrain; Suitable for cats and dogs up to about 30lbs
- Colour(s): Purple
- Pet Life Stage: All ages
- Maximum Weight Recommendation: 13 kgs
This stroller exceeded expectations in comparison to any other product we reviewed – we love the pet compartment. The price range is reasonable, and the features provided with the product make it one-of-a-kind buy. Over 600 positive reviews – they aren’t wrong!
#4 TOGfit Pet Roadster Stroller
- INCREASES QUALITY OF LIFE: No matter if your little friend had surgery, is injured, sick, scared, a puppy or senior dog, this dog pram will give you the opportunity to take longer outings without having to worry about your beloved one
- FRONT AND REAR ENTRY: Zippers in the front and back allow your pet to get in and out of the dog pushchair from both sides
- HIGH COMFORT PET SUPPLY: The luxury dog stroller buggy provides more comfort than cheaper pet buggies. No more back pain thanks to the height adjustable handle. Perfect dog carrier alternative. Strong wheels allow you to push the dog stroller even on forest trails, bumpy roads or dirt tracks
- MANIFOLD APPLICATIONS: The handy dog buggy is ideal for pets up to 32 kg. Taking your pet to the vet, on long walks, holidays or to the mall has never been easier
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
- Colour(s): Grey
- Pet Life Stage: All ages and sizes
- Maximum Weight Recommendation: 32 kgs
Overall, this pet stroller is a great option if you are going for a medium to the higher-end stroller. This stroller is good for all size of dogs. If your pet hates crowded spaces, this is the perfect pick for them, because of its spacious seat.
Zippers are a unique feature of this stroller. Zipper structure allows easy and safe removal of your pet pooch from the stroller and helps protect your dog and their position in the stroller.
#5 Wooce Four-wheeled Stroller Dog Trolley
- 【Super Capacity for Medium & Large Dogs】This pet stroller is designed for MEDIUM and LARGE dogs, please confirm that the size of the cart is convenient for entering your house or car before purchase. Expand Dimensions: H44.5 x W31.1 x L36.2 inch(113 x 79 x 92 cm), Internal cabin size: 31.5 x 24.8 x 25.2 inch(80 x 63 x 64cm), Folded Size: 32.3 x 25.2 x 9.4 inch(82 x 64 x 24 cm), Max Load: 60kg.
- 【Durable Wheels】This dog trolley’s front wheels are made of 8 inch(19cm) EVA material, which can be freely rotated 360°, can also turn into directional wheels to adapt different types of roads. Rears are 12 inch(27cm) EVA, helps to pass the obstacle easier, also help to maintain the stability and balance of the stroller. EVA wheel is environmental-friendly material, safe and non-toxic.
- 【Easy to Install & Convenient】You can fold the stroller easily after removing the handle, makes transport and storage easier in travel. This dog pram stroller is very useful for those dogs who are inconvenient to move because of illness and old age. It is also an ideal tool to bring dogs in public places.
- 【Breathable & Comfortable】The two left and right sides are nylon mesh, provide a wide vision for dogs, ensure good air circulation. The top window allows dogs to stick their heads out, thus promotes communication between you and your dogs. The zipper door makes the dogs get on or off the stroller more easily.
- 【Sturdy Structure】The pet pram main part are made of high-strength thicker stainless steel tube+600D PVC fabric + 8 in and 12 in wheels, tubes are anti-vibration and resistant to be attacked. The center mattress height is proper to assure that its gravity is lower, come with good stability.
- Colour(s): Blue
- Pet Life Stage: Medium and large sizes
- Maximum Weight Recommendation: 30 kgs
Overall, this stroller is in the ‘pricey’ league but can provide options for a safer experience for old dogs as it can be covered on all sides for protection. If you feel like that your pet needs special attention, go for this pet stroller.
#6 ROODO Escort 4 Wheel Pet Stroller
- This shop is popular with the public for its excellent customer service and top quality products. Recently, our shop is suffering from malicious comments from fellow sellers. Buyers please ignore the negative comments and rest assured to buy. ROODO Pets will legally maintain malicious comments from peer sellers.
- Alone Cabin ：If you want to mix more colors, or use it for a long time, dirty, or broken, you can buy another cabin, so you don’t need to waste money to buy a complete pet stroller. You can easily remove it. And then replace it
- Alone Basket ：It is the same as the cabin, it can be easily disassembled and then replaced
- Alone Frame ：Rugged frame that can withstand 30 pounds and we will provide a 2-year warranty on the frame
- Special features: When you take your pet for a walk, there are two storage bags behind the pet stroller. You can put the water bottle in, or put the wallet and mobile phone in the storage bag. If you go shopping in the mall, There is also a storage basket under the pet stroller.
- Colour(s): Red
- Maximum Weight Recommendation: 30 kgs
Overall, this is a decent pet stroller but lacks severely when it comes to using it in rough situations, e.g. for jogging, etc.
Best Pet Stroller to Purchase for Jogging
Up till now, you have been browsing through some of the top-notch strollers for pet dogs. They can be used in different conditions, weather, for different purposes, etc.
If physical exercise is going to effect your decision, you will lead an active lifestyle, you might want the same for your pets. When it comes to strollers that can help your pets’ jog as well, you need to look beyond ordinary strollers and look for options specifically built for your needs. Undoubtedly, the Display4top brand deals with high-quality jogger strollers. Here are their two best jogging strollers:
#7 Display4top Pet Stroller
- INCLUDES 24″ MEDIUM-LARGE CARRIER + STROLLER! Our Best Selling Carrier Now Available As A 3-In-1 Wheeled Cat & Dog Stroller! Perfect for Travel, Vet Trips, Naps and More. 4X THE INTERIOR SPACE Compared to Traditional Carriers!
- Large size and high density EVA solid wheel, free of aeration, strong and wearable, easy to deal with various road conditions
- DETACHABLE CARRIER: Can be used as a stroller or as a standalone carrier. Carrier can be DETACHED from frame by 4 snaps. Great for both Cats & Dogs! Sturdy Lightweight Steel Frame on 4 Wheels. BEST ALTERNATIVE to Cramped & Scary Boxy Carriers that Cause Anxiety. Perfect size for MEDIUM to LARGE sized cats or dogs, or 2 to 3 pets weighing up to 45 pounds combined!
- LOCKING WHEELS to prevent stroller from moving. ADJUSTABLE PADDED SHOULDER STRAPS FOR EASY CARRY & SEAT BELT RESTRAINTS For Safety While Travelling Sturdy Steel Frame FULLY COLLAPSIBLE Covered in SOFT & SUPPLE Material, Convenient ADJUSTABLE CARRY STRAPS & PADDED HANDLE GRIP, FOLDS FLAT for Easy Storage!
- Car and bag can be used separately, detachable / foldable / car / portable,The folded pet car can be put into the trunk without taking up space.
- Colour(s): Black
- Maximum Weight Recommendation: 14 kgs
Overall, this is one of the best dog stroller available on the market today! And with over 300 positive reviews, it’s very easy to see why this dog stroller is as popular as it is.
It not only allows smooth jogging and strolling, it has extra compartments for dog treats, cup holders and toys, unlike others in this list. Making this, not just an ideal choice for your pooch but also adds comfort factors for you – who wouldn’t want a cup holder?
Tips to Consider Before Buying a Dog Stroller
There are many factors that you need to figure out before purchasing the best dog stroller available. These include personal
preferences, such as:
- Do you live in an urban, suburban, or rural area?
- Do you have to walk or jog your pet through rough terrains?
- Do you need to minimize the time it takes to assemble and disassemble the stroller?
- Are you on a budget?
- Do you move around a lot, or between places?
How to Choose the Best Dog Stroller
Some other determining factors are equally important before making a purchase. They include:
Looking for a stroller that has the ideal capacity for holding your pet. Certain strollers come with large enough buggies for the pets to lie down and relax. Opt for those if you want your pet to have a comfortable ride around
Always watch for the trolley tires. There are many types of tires, e.g., plastic, air-filled, EVA tires. Plastic ones are easily damaged with use, whereas EVA ones are the best in quality and durability.
Zipper less entry
Go for zipper less entry – they’re a pet parents dream. This is a safety precaution for your dog, just in case they don’t listen to you all the time. Strollers that are partially or entirely open at the front or sides can provoke the pets to jump out without warning. Zippers tend to worsen over time, so you should think of going zipper less when choosing the best dog stroller for you and your pup.
Always ensure that the strollers have a braking mechanism.
Will My Dog Get Used to the Stroller?
Sometimes you can go all the way to get the best stroller for your pets, and they do not want to be cooperative. Like with any new trick our dogs learn, you need to enforce a change slowly. Here are some tips for getting your dog used to a new mode of transportation:
Start slowly. Allow the dog to get comfortable sitting in the stroller. You might use treats.
Ensure the dog is secure and strapped.
Move around slowly. Remember to keep rewarding with every new milestone achieved.
Voila, your dog is ready for the new stroller!
If you want to ease the process of taking your pet out, a dog stroller is the easiest and most obvious option. Pet strollers are easy to maintain, easy to push and replacement parts are not hard to find. Regular maintenance and simple storage can make your product last longer and work better. Strollers are a pet parents dream.
Last update on 2020-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API