Everybody wants to make grooming their poodle as easy as possible and with the correct clippers (and a little bit of practice), it’s not as difficult as you’d possibly think.
Doggy Planet have ranked and reviewed the best dog clippers for poodles. They will trim your poodles coat and leave a fantastic finish to their coat without having to repeatedly pay a dog groomer.
#1 Andis Agc Super 2-Speed Professional Clippers
Great quality, they cut well and they run incredibly quiet – what isn’t to love? We’ve used cheaper quality dog clippers and they’re no where near the quality of these dog clippers. Cheaper dog clippers are a false economy and should be avoided. These professional clippers are fantastic, with a great cutting motor and are unrivaled.
The Andis dog clippers are fantastic for variety. They come with two-speed choices (330 and 4000 strokes per minute) and they’re available in many different colours.
Wonderful for poodle grooming because of their low noise and low vibration, meaning even nervous dogs can handle the dog grooming process.
We rate these as our number 1 best poodle hair trimmers on our round up! Check out our in-depth review of the Andis 2 speed clippers.
Clippers For Poodles
Poodles are a wonderful and very popular breed of dog. They’re very popular dogs for a number of reasons – such as the following:
- They’re described as alert
- active and
- instinctual, learning commands and tricks very quickly.
Their coats also don’t shed as much as other breads. However (there’s always a however), the one downside of the poodle breed is their need to be groomed regularly! This means that most poodle owners will regularly visit a dog groomer every 6 weeks or so (the money spent will quickly add up), meaning it may be more cost effective to purchase a pair of clippers to groom your poodle at home.
It can be true that mastering a set of clippers for your poodle can take some time to master but the effort is worth it in the long run and its also worth mentioning that lots of dogs feel more comfortable being groomed at home.
When grooming any pet from home it’s essential that you have the right tools and your poodle is no exception, the most important tool being is a set of high quality dog clippers.
Our list of best dog clippers for poodles will make quick work of your poodles hair, whilst at the same time they should minimise both heat and noise output. The clipper on our list are comfortable to hold, durable and versatile enough to deal with any poodles coat. Cheaper models will burn up, make lots of noise and struggle with your poodles hair.
Our best poodle clippers list will help you make the right choice for you and your precious poodle.
Our list of clippers are also brilliant for poodle mixes, such as Cockapoos, Cavapoos, Maltipoos, Poochons, Goldendoodles and Labradoodles.
#2 Andis AGR+ Clippers with Two batteries
BEST CORDLESS POODLE CLIPPERS
- Similar cutting power to the mains version
- Runs very quiet, cool and allows total grooming freedom!
- Clips for 30-45minutes on one battery and charges in 35 minutes
- Takes all snap on blades. comes complete with a number 10 blades
- Kit includes clipper, two batteries, sensacharge charger, maintenance kit and instructions
There has been a wired version of these professional dog grooming clippers for many years and whilst they’re excellent – they come with one irritating problem – the very HEAVY cable! Andis decided to do something about this and released the “heavy cable-less” Andis AGR+ dog clippers and they ship with 2 batteries! The absolute best cordless dog clippers available today!
The AGR professional dog Clipper has comparable clipping power to its mains powered older sibling (its cutting rotary motor is just as good). They’re light, run very cool and quiet, making an easier time of grooming. They even ship with a cleaning brush.
It handily ships with 2 batteries and each one lasts between 30-45 minutes of clipping, so when one battery dies, slip the other in whilst the other battery recharges. And with a charge time of circa 35 minutes, you’ll never have to sit around waiting! The 2 batteries allow for continuous clipping.
They Come with the smart Sensacharge charger, designed to boost battery life and maintain a great condition of the batteries.
Designed for the professional dog groomer, breeder or the owner of any thick coated breed and great if you have dogs (as in more than one).
Whilst this just offers one rate rather than two, the benefit of portability and no HEAVY cable make it a GREAT buy.
#3 The Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Clipper
- The Wahl Super Groom Clipper offers high performance clipping with the ability to cut through any coat type.
- The precision ground blade is detachable and can be easily snapped on and off allowing for straight forward cleaning and superior cutting performance.
- 100 minutes of cordless operation with a quick charge feature and a clear LED battery indicator.
- The blade features integrated cutting length adjustment (0.7 mm- 3 mm)
- This durable clipper is easy to control and offers a more relaxing experience for your dog due to its quiet operation – ideal for noise sensitive dogs.
An amazing set of dog clipper kit suitable for your poodle’s coat. The latest lithium technology means that these bad boys can be used for up-to 100 minutes and if you’re running our of charge – simply plug them in and keep using!
Coupled with their cordless design is a low noise rotary motor, ensuring that your pet poodle gets a relaxing, stress free grooming session.
Integrated cutting length adjustment ability of 0.7mm – 3mm.
They’re also available as a bundle with cooling spray.
Doggy Planet’s verdict: Great value cordless Poodle clippers.
#4 Laube iVac Vacuum Poodle Clipper 2-Speed Kit
BEST BUY IF MONEY IS NO OBJECT
- 5-Year Limited Motor Warranty, 110v/220 DCV
- 10,000 S.P.M. on high & 4,000 S.P.M. on low; fits all snap on style blades
- Just 11 oz. and is 6″ long! comes with an 18-foot cord/hose
- Comes with 10 adaptors to fit any vacuum
- Proudly made in USA with US and globally sourced parts
Hoover up your poodles matted hair as you groom!! Professional and comfortable – there’s just so much to love with these clippers.
That’s right – a professional grade set of poodle dog clippers, that clean as you clip – no need for an industrial clean up one you’re finished.
You don’t need a special hoover, you don’t need to buy a special hoover – these will attach themselves to literally any hoover available today.
The Laube iVac Vacuum Clippers are light, compact, heavy duty, professional and easily held and moved around. The Quick-disconnect, swivel vacuum tube attaches to the rear of the pet clipper providing obstruction-free working.
This grooming clipper is also excellent for other animals that you may or may not have. If you’re a professional – these clippers are an absolute MUST!
Click here to read our full review of these.
#5 Wahl Bravura Professional Lithium Dog Clipper
OVER 650 REVIEWS ON AMAZON!
- New innovative lithium ion technology, cord/cordless clipper with constant speed control
- Lightweight, powerful, 5000 strokes per minute; adjustable ‘5 in 1’ blade sizes 9, 10, 15, 30 and 40
- Excellent clipper for feet, face and finish work; glides through coats quickly and efficiently
- Cool running; 90 minutes of cordless operation; low vibration and exceptionally quiet
- 7 inches long, weighs 8.8 ounces; 1-year limited professional warranty; Clipper Made in Hungary; Blade Made in Germany
We need to preface this write up with the fact that these cordless clippers are expensive but they are literally the Crème de la crème of cordless dog clippers.
They’re lightweight, powerful and have an array of adjustable blades. They’re also low vibration and incredibly quiet.
They several comb attachments and guide combs.
They’re professional grade but they’re expensive.
#6 Wahl Poodle Grooming Clippers Kit SS Pro
A GREAT INVESTMENT
- Powerdrive performance provides quiet, powerful and fast clipping
- This clipper is powerful enough to cope with any coat type
- The professional removable blades allow for easy cleaning and deliver a smooth finish.
- Lightweight for easy use with contoured ridged finger grip for comfort and maximum control
- The range of available blades for this clipper will ensure no fur will be too much
The Wahl SS Pro set of professional poodle dog clippers are a quiet, powerful clipper with a high capacity and will glide through your pet poodles coat.
They powerful corded clippers are easy to handle and gentle on your hands leaving you no pain on your wrist, hands or fingers.
The cutting length of these professional dog clippers are standardised to 0.7mm though this figure can be adjusted to 3mm, 10mm or 16mm with the aid of the attachment combs that ship with these clippers.
These could have easily been our top pick – they’re that good. The lack of choice with regards to colours available are what stopped these dog poodle clippers from being our top pick.
This finishes our roundup of the best dog poodle clippers UK available today. If you think there are a set that deserve to be on this list – please let us know!
What Type of grooming Clipper is best for your Poodle?
When buying a set of clippers, You are paying for both comfort and cutting power.
It’s best to choose a set of clippers that are low in vibration, powerful, ergonomic and low noise, ensuring they’re strong enough to glide through your pooches coat with minimal fuss and stress.
Some Tips for Grooming Your Poodle Safely
Let your poodle sniff the clippers when you use them for the first time – whilst they’re off obviously and make sure there are treats on hand.
Slowly progress into holding the clippers close to your dog and then start by trimming a few poodle hairs.
Some common styles to pick from for your poodle include sporty, lamb or even teddy bear.
Corded vs. Cordless Clippers
Lots of dogs will be frightened of clippers – it’s the fear of the unknown – a cordless set of clippers may give you the freedom to groom your poodle in an area they’re comfortable in that doesn’t have a power source.
Cordless clippers depend on batteries and this can sometimes effect the power of the motor, so ensure you’re not sacrificing power for comfort.
Take into account charge time, how long you can use the clippers (battery life) for before they need to be recharged and some clippers can be used whilst they’re plugged in and charging.
Watch the video below for a quick visual guide on how to groom your dog at home.